Monday, March 17, 2008

Skellingtons


It was a real skeleton. I touched it. It was cool.
By cool, though, I mean sad. Despite the beautifully simple lines and the awe inspiring, complex structure (evolution blows my mind), I can't help but to wonder who she was.
Anyone seen Fast Times at Ridgemont High? Do you think she was a vagrant who sold her body to science for $30? I have no idea when she was alive. Maybe she was the victim of grave-robbery in the 1800s? Did she know parts of her body that she herself had never even seen were going to be thoroughly but dispassionately scrutinized by art student after art student for decades. It's like she's being whored out. I wouldn't feel so bad about it if any of us had the talent to really render her with the passion, innovation, and loveliness that her bones deserve, but as it is, she is prisoner to our mediocrity.
In other news, I'm still jazzed about MIT. Not even art can bring me down from the cirrus (is that the very, very high one?) cloud that I have been floating on for the past 55.5 hours.

No comments: